A plastic film capacitor is a capacitor that uses plastic film as the dielectric and aluminum or zinc as the electrodes to store electric charge.
Characteristics of Plastic Film Capacitors:
- High insulation resistance
- Good capacitance stability
- High efficiency even at high frequency
- Dielectric used: Polypropelene(PP)/ Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)/Polytetrafluoroethylene(PTFE)
Application of Plastic Film Capacitors depends on the type of dielectric used:
- PET Film/foil capacitors are good for coupling, decoupling, and bypassing.
- PP Film/Foil capacitors (PP) are a good option to be used in circuits that require high switching frequency like resonant and oscillator circuits, power supplies, etc.
E.g. Film/foil capacitors and metal foil capacitors.