With the industry’s highest efficiency and lowest quiescent current (IQ) of only 300nA, the MAX17222 nanoPower boost regulator from Maxim Integrated Products, enables the longest battery life in the smallest form factor for wearable and consumer IoT designs. The 0.4V to 5.5V input, 1.8V to 5V output boost regulator with 500mA input current limit reduces solution size by up to 50% compared to similar products and offers 95% peak efficiency to minimize heat dissipation. These benefits are ideal for wearable devices which IDC forecasts will experience a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.4% in 2020.
Maxim’s MAX17222 not only delivers the lowest quiescent current, but also minimizes heat dissipation and shutdown current. In True Shutdown mode, the minuscule current draw of 0.5nA virtually stops battery drain to provide the longest battery life and eliminate the need for external disconnect switches. Dramatically reducing solution size compared to other similar products, the MAX17222 is internally compensated and requires only a single configuration resistor and small output filter for a full power solution. For ease of use, the boost regulator comes in tiny, density-optimized 0.88mm x 1.4mm 6-Bump WLP and 2mm x 2mm 6-Pin standard uDFN packages. It operates over the -40-degree Celsius to +85-degree Celsius temperature range.
- Longest battery life: Battery drain is significantly reduced during standby and shutdown modes to maximize operating time; 0.4V input (with 0.88V startup input) is compatible with low voltage batteries and supercapacitors
- Smallest solution size: Highly integrated boost solution resulting in up to 50% space savings over similar products
- Highest efficiency: 95% peak efficiency minimizes heat dissipation during active operation
- “Low quiescent current, combined with True Shutdown and high efficiency, helps our customers deliver smart, connected products while meeting demands for high uptime per charge,” said Meng He, Executive Business Manager, Maxim Integrated.
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX17222ELT is available for $1.23 (1000-up, FOB USA) at Maxim’s website and select franchised distributors
- The MAX17222EVKIT evaluation kit is available for $34.99
- An EE-Sim model is available
- Other products within the nanoPower family will be available in 4-6 weeks; products differ based on input/output current levels
1 IDC Worldwide Quarterly Wearables Device Tracker, 3Q16
Maxim is also announcing immediate availability of a full suite of nanoPower solutions, including comparators, op amps, and supervisors targeted for ultra-low power applications. These are available at Maxim’s website and select franchised distributors.
The MAX17222 and other nanoPower products will be on display at embedded world from March 14-16, 2017 in Nuremberg Germany (Hall 1, Maxim Booth 1-370), http://bit.ly/embedded_world_2017