Company Builds on 50+% Growth in Scale-out Storage Sales With New Features for
Highly Demanding Unstructured Data Environments
announced significant new enhancements to its award-winning StorNext scale-out file system that take unstructured data management to higher levels of efficiency and flexibility. These enhancements in StorNext release 5.4 include the ability to integrate existing public cloud storage accounts and third-party object storage — starting with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, NetApp StorageGRID, IBM Cleversafe and Scality RING — as tiers in a StorNext-unified namespace. Another new feature provides embedded application deployment in StorNext appliances, leveraging industry-standard virtualization technology to simplify integration with asset manager, data management and data sharing applications.
StorNext 5.4 is the latest example of the significant enhancements in Quantum’s scale-out storage portfolio over the past two years, as the company continues to focus on delivering high-performance, cost-effective, multi-tier solutions for managing unstructured data in highly demanding environments. During this time, Quantum has also built on its long-standing leadership in media and entertainment and expanded its market reach in areas such as video surveillance, genomics, academic research and government security. As a result, the company’s scale-out storage revenue has grown rapidly — 56 percent year-over-year in the most recently completed quarter, which represented the 21st consecutive quarter of year-over-year growth.
The Challenge of Unstructured Data Growth
The massive growth in unstructured data continues unabated, driven by advances such as 4K video cameras and the proliferation of IoT sensor technology, and the ability to analyze and leverage this data is an increasingly critical component of an organization’s business or mission. IT professionals face an ongoing challenge of how to manage and retain this data — and make it readily accessible when needed — in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible.
StorNext: Powerful File System and Multi-Tier Data Management
Long used for bandwidth-intensive video capture, production and distribution workflows, StorNext is increasingly being deployed by data-intensive enterprises around the globe for a broad range of use cases, including:
- Technical computing and big data analytics in imaging environments such as genomics, academic research and video surveillance.
- Real-time editing and manipulation of massive media datasets for entertainment.
- High-performance archive.
- Large-scale content repositories.
StorNext provides a unique combination of:
- The fastest streaming file system performancein the industry.
- Automated, policy-based data managementthrough StorNext Storage Manager™ for cost-effective tiering across primary disk, object storage, tape and the cloud.
- Heterogeneous OS support(Windows, Linux, UNIX, MacOS).
- Multi-protocol support, including Fibre Channel, Ethernet, InfiniBand, iSCSI, NFS, SMB/CIFS and S3.
StorNext has been deployed in more than 120,000 clients, and its customers include the five largest media companies in the world, all the top U.S. broadcast networks, Airbus Defence and Space, AOL Huffington Post, Baylor College of Medicine, BBC Sport, Calgary Police Service, CERN, Max Planck Institute for Chemistry, MLB Network, NASA, NIH, Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics, University of North Carolina, University of Notre Dame and UFC (to read StorNext customer success stories, visit www.quantum.com/customerstories).
StorNext 5.4 Enhancements
StorNext 5.4 provides a number of new features and benefits, including:
- Seamless Cloud Integration— A new feature in StorNext Storage Manager enables users to move data into and out of their public cloud accounts and/or existing third-party object storage (private cloud), thereby extending their StorNext-managed, tiered storage environment, protecting prior investments and reducing the cost and complexity of cloud storage administration. StorNext 5.4 currently provides support for AWS (S3, Glacier, GovCloud, C2S) and Microsoft Azure and also offers a connection to the Google Cloud through standard S3 protocol. Augmenting Quantum’s own Lattus object storage, StorNext 5.4 includes support for NetApp StorageGRID, IBM Cleversafe and Scality RING, and Quantum plans to add integration for other object storage offerings.
- Embedded Applications— Dynamic Application Environment (DAE) is a virtual computing space on StorNext-powered Xcellis™ workflow storage appliances that enables applications to run within the high-performance, shared storage environment. By eliminating the need for dedicated servers and additional networking, the DAE reduces the time, cost and complexity of deploying and maintaining applications.
- Expanded SSD Options— A new Xcellis configuration includes SSD-based metadata storage at a lower price for smaller deployments with high-performance requirements.
StorNext 5.4 is currently shipping with all newly purchased Xcellis, StorNext M-Series and StorNext Pro™ Solutions offerings, as well as Artico™ archive appliances. It is available at no additional cost for StorNext 5 users under current support contracts.
Quantum’s Scale-out Storage Momentum
Today’s StorNext 5.4 announcement reflects Quantum’s continuing expansion and enhancement of its scale-out storage portfolio. Over the past two years, the company has added a range of new offerings that reinforce its end-to-end approach to managing data, from high-performance ingest to long-term archiving. These offerings include Xcellis, Artico, QXS™ hybrid storage, a new StorNext AEL tape library and StorNext Connect™ management tools, which have been well-received by customers and partners, won numerous product awards and been recognized by independent analysts. Most recently, after evaluating Quantum’s QXS hybrid storage, Gartner named the company as a Challenger in its October 2016 Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Disk Arrays.*
Quantum has leveraged its enhanced portfolio and long-standing expertise in scale-out storage to extend the benefits of StorNext-powered solutions to a broader base of customers. The company’s success is evident in the rapid growth it has experienced across different scale-out storage markets and use cases — for example, in its most recently completed quarter, Quantum generated double-to-triple-digit revenue growth on a year-over-year basis in media and entertainment, video surveillance, genomics, geospatial applications and unstructured data archive.
- Learn more about Quantum scale-out storage and StorNext: www.quantum.com/products/scale-out-storage/index.aspx
- Read about Xcellis workflow storage: www.quantum.com/products/scale-out-storage/stornext-primary-storage/index.aspx