Renesas Electronics Corporation, a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, announced the Renesas Synergy AE-CLOUD2 kit, a complete hardware and software reference design that allows embedded developers to quickly evaluate cellular connectivity options and build Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) cellular Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
The AE-CLOUD2 kit together with the new Synergy Software Package (SSP) version 1.5.0 simplifies connecting IoT sensor devices to enterprise cloud services using 4G/LTE Cat-M1 and Cat-NB1, also called NB-IoT, with fallback to 2G/EGPRS cellular networks. The kit’s rich functionality accelerates prototyping cellular-enabled IoT devices for asset tracking, retail and agriculture monitoring, smart cities/utilities, mobile healthcare, and industrial automation.
“Renesas is the first MCU supplier to deliver a 4G/LTE Cat-M1/Cat-NB1-based reference design kit that is certified to operate globally, uses Wi-Fi and Ethernet, and offers cloud service example projects. The kit’s wide array of sensors, global cellular modem, and GPS capability opens the door to countless IoT monitoring and control applications for deployment on a broad scale,” said Daryl Khoo, Vice President Product Marketing, IoT Platform Business Division, Renesas Electronics Corporation.
Key Features of AE-CLOUD2 Kit
• Synergy S5D9 MCU baseboard.
- Quectel ultra-low power BG96 cellular module supports 4G/LTE Cat-M1, Cat-NB1, and 2G/EGPRS.
- Sensors for sampling and sending measurement data to the cloud:
- Renesas ISL29035 digital light sensor for ambient/infrared light measurement o Bosch BMI160 MEMS sensor for acceleration and gyroscopic measurement o Bosch BMM150 MEMS three-axis geomagnetic sensor for compass navigation o Bosch BME680 MEMS sensor for gas, temperature, humidity, and pressure measurements.
- Knowles SPM0687LR5H-1 analog microphone for sound and voice capture.
Key Features of SSP version 1.5.0
- Customizable production grade software.
- ThreadX real-time-operating system (RTOS).
- NetX Duo Message Queue Telemetry Transport (MQTT) and NetX Secure Transport Layer Security (TLS) for secure communications with cloud services.
- Support for HTTPS Client and HTTP 1.1 Client.
- Wireless Frameworks for connecting to LTE IoT networks and cloud services.
- SSP Cellular Framework provides APIs to provision, configure and communicate with cellular network for data communication.
- Example projects for Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Medium One, including reference code and instructions for connecting AE-CLOUD2 to each cloud service using Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or LTE IoT cellular.
Renesas is demonstrating the AE-CLOUD2 kit in booth 727 at Arm TechCon, October 17-18, 2018, San Jose Convention Center.