Texas Instruments (TI) on October 3, 2016, introduced the industry’s first fully integrated power management solution for double date rate (DDR)2, DDR3 and DDR3L memory subsystems in automotive and industrial applications. The TPS54116-Q1 DC/DC buck converter is a 2.95-V to 6-V input, 4-A synchronous step-down converter with a 1-A peak sink/source DDR termination and buffered reference that reduces system size by up to 50 percent compared to discrete implementations.
Designed for automotive applications such as infotainment, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and instrument clusters, the TPS54116-Q1 can also power DDR memory in telecommunication, test and measurement, and factory automation equipment. Used in conjunction with TI’s WEBENCH online design tools, the TPS54116-Q1 simplifies power conversion and speeds the power-supply design process. For more information, samples and an evaluation module, see www.ti.com/tps54116q1-pr.
The newest addition to TI’s industry-leading DC/DC converter portfolio, the TPS54116-Q1 buck converter provides up to 2.5-MHz switching frequency and minimizes solution size by integrating the MOSFETs and reducing inductor size. The switching frequency can be set above the medium-wave radio band for noise-sensitive applications and is synchronizable to an external clock. Read the blog post, “Four design tips to obtain 2-MHz switching frequency.”
Download the Automotive Power Reference Design for Low Power TDA3x Based Systems to create an integrated, size-optimized power supply for ADAS featuring the TPS54116-Q1 when using TI’s TDA3 system on chip.
TPS54116-Q1 key features and benefits
- Integrated low- and high-side power MOSFETsand a 1-A sink/source DDR VTT termination regulator support 4 A of continuous output current.
- Current-mode control with external clock synchronization capability keeps the frequency fixed across the entire output load range.
- Automotive Electronics Council (AEC)-Q100 qualified with 4-kV electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection for automotive applications.
Availability, packaging and pricing
Available in volume now from the TI store and authorized distributors, the converter is packaged in a thermally enhanced 24-pin, 4-mm-by-4-mm-by-0.75-mm very thin quad flat no-lead (WQFN) package and priced at US$2.50 in 1,000-unit quantities. The TPS54116-Q1EVM-830 evaluation module is also orderable from the TI store and distributors.
Find out more about TI’s power portfolio
- Get more information on all DDR memory solutions from TI.
- See all power-supply designs in TI’s reference design library.
- Search for solutions, get help and share knowledge in the TI E2E Community Power Management forum