- Q1 2017 sales rise by 25 percent to EUR 2.4 billion
- EBITDA pre exceptionals increases by 25 percent to EUR 328 million
- EBITDA margin pre exceptionals at 13.7 percent
- Net income improves by 47 percent to EUR 78 million
- Positive volume development across all segments
- New guidance for the full year 2017: EBITDA pre exceptionals between EUR 1.225 billion and EUR 1.3 billion
- Matthias Zachert says: “We have the right positioning and the Chemtura acquisition further enhances our operational strength.”
Specialty chemicals company LANXESS projects the highest full year results in company history, following a very strong first quarter of 2017 and the successful closing of the acquisition of U.S. based company Chemtura.
Global sales of the specialty chemicals company increased by a substantial 25 percent to EUR 2.4 billion in the first quarter of 2017, up from EUR 1.9 billion a year earlier. EBITDA pre exceptionals also improved by 25 percent to EUR 328 million, compared with EUR 262 million in the first quarter of 2016. The very positive first-quarter development was primarily driven by a significant increase in volumes across all segments.
The EBITDA margin pre exceptionals came in at 13.7 percent, slightly above the prior-year figure of 13.6 percent.Net income rose significantly by 47 percent to EUR 78 million, against EUR 53 million in the year-earlier quarter.
For the full year 2017, the company expects EBITDA pre exceptionals of between EUR 1.225 billion and EUR 1.3 billion. This forecast includes the earnings contribution from the newly acquired Chemtura businesses. 2017 could, therefore, be the most successful fiscal year in the company’s history. LANXESS achieved its highest operating result to date in 2012, when it posted a figure of around EUR 1.2 billion.
“LANXESS got off to a very strong start to the new fiscal year. We recorded an increase in demand in all of our business segments and generated higher sales in all regions. This clearly shows that we have the right positioning,” said Matthias Zachert, Chairman of the Board of Management of LANXESS AG. “Good order flow and a dynamic business environment appear to continue in the second quarter – for the full year, we are even expecting record earnings. This is a clear indication of our operational strength, which will be further enhanced by the Chemtura acquisition. Our job now is to ensure the swift and smooth integration of the new businesses.”