Renesas Electronics Corporation, a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today introduced the industry’s first USB-C buck-boost battery charger to support both Narrow Voltage Direct Charging (NVDC) and Hybrid Power Buck-Boost (HPBB) charging for notebooks, ultrabooks, tablets, and power banks using the reversible USB Type-C connector cable. Through firmware control, the ISL9241 can switch between NVDC and HPBB modes, providing a low-cost and small solution size capable of efficiently processing a full range of power levels.
It leverages Renesas’ advanced R3 modulation technology for superior light-load efficiency and ultra-fast transient response to extend battery run-time. The charger’s reconfigurable internal registers allow the use of a smaller inductor for HPBB mode to achieve higher efficiencies across multiple power levels.
The ISL9241 delivers charging, system bus regulation, and protection features using NFETs for highest efficiency and bill of material (BOM) cost optimization. The charger can operate with only a battery, only an adapter, or both connected. It takes DC input power from conventional adapters, travel adapters, and USB Type-C power delivery (PD) ports, and safely charges battery packs with up to four-cell Li-ion series batteries. In NVDC mode, the ISL9241 automatically selects the adapter or battery as the source for system power.
The ISL9241 provides 5V to 20V reverse buck, boost, or buck-boost operation to the adapter port (OTG mode). This allows configurations to support USB-C PD output for fast charging Programmable Power Supply (PPS) ports. Direct charging the battery can also be enabled by bypassing the ISL9241 in PPS mode.
“The ISL9241 combo NVDC and HPBB battery charger gives customers the highest level of flexibility along with optimized system performance and maximum efficiency,” said Andrew Cowell, Vice President, Battery & Optical Systems Division, Renesas Electronics Corporation. “Mobile computing OEMs count on Renesas to consistently deliver power management innovations that help them differentiate their products with thinner form factors and longer battery life.”
Key Features of ISL9241:
- Buck-boost NVDC and HPBB charger for 2-, 3-, or 4-cell Li-ion batteries
- Input voltage range of 3.9V to 23.4V (no dead-zone)
- System/battery output voltage of 3.9V to 18.304V
- Bypass mode supports system connection to adapter
- Adapter current and battery current monitor (AMON/BMON)
- Supports supplemental power (Intel VMINactive protection)
- Programmable autonomous charging, and end of charge timer to stop battery charging
- Integrated 8-bit ADC enables system telemetry: temperature (PCB and junction), adapter current/voltage, battery charge/discharge current, and system bus voltage
- Compliant with Intel PROCHOT# and PSYS for protection against battery voltage drop, adapter over-current, battery over-current and overheat
- Allows trickle charging of depleted battery
- SMBus/I2C allows programming of key parameters to deliver a customized solution
- Battery ship mode keeps IC in ultra-low power state
For more info, log on https://www.renesas.com