Designers can maximize runtime and achieve an enhanced user experience with the MAX17260 and MAX17261 ModelGauge m5 EZ fuel gauges by Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). Ideal for a broad range of Li-ion battery powered applications, these battery characterization-free solutions provide high levels of accuracy while also offering small size and ease of design.
The MAX17260 and MAX17261, which feature the ModelGauge m5 EZ algorithm, provide a high level of accuracy in fuel gauging compared to competing solutions. This allows designers to maximize their devices’ runtime by preventing premature or sudden device shutdowns, while maintaining a smaller battery size. The fuel gauges, which are housed in an ultra-small 1.5mm x 1.5mm package, feature a very low quiescent current of 5.1µA to minimize draining the battery during long periods of standby time. The products allow designs to be quickly done without battery characterization or calibration.
Key Advantages :-
- High Accuracy: Accurate battery state of charge (SOC) prevents sudden crash and premature device shutdown; Provides easy to understand battery information for end users such as time to empty, time to full under current, as well as hypothetical load conditions; Dynamic power technology enables high system performance without crashing the battery; Results in smaller battery size
- Maximized End-Device Runtime: Very low quiescent current of 5.1µA prevents excessive energy loss during long periods of standby time
- Simplified Design: Battery characterization-free solution offers no battery size limit; MAX17260 offers a high-side Rsense option to simplify ground-plane design; MAX17261 offers a flexible switched resistor divider option to support any number of series cells (multi-cell batteries)
- Compact Solution: Supports small electronics with 1.5mm x 1.5mm wafer-level packaging (WLP) as well as 3mm x 3mm TDFN.
“With the proliferation of consumer electronics goods with rechargeable batteries, the demand for small batteries with maximum runtime becomes even more prominent, according to our recent report,” said Raghu Raj Singh, lead semiconductor equipment analyst for Technavio. “The latest fuel gauges from Maxim are just what the market needs to save space and considerably extend the battery life of portable products”, he added.
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX17260 is available for $0.93 (1000-up, FOB USA); MAX17261 is available for $1.22 (1000-up, FOB USA); Both are available at Maxim’s website and select authorized distributors
- MAX17260GEVKIT and MAX17261GEVKIT evaluation kits are available for $60.