- World’s 2nd Largest Cloud Computing Provider, Built for Developers
- Datacenter in Bangalore set for the second quarter of this year
- To have an initial investment of up to $5M to build local facility and operation in 2016
February 22, 2016 – Bangalore, India – DigitalOcean, the developers’ cloud computing platform, today announced their plan to open a datacenter in India this coming summer. Headquartered in New York City, DigitalOcean has catered to the developer community by offering on-demand cloud computing resources that can be deployed in seconds at a great price point. In 2015 DigitalOcean became the 2nd largest hosting company in the world, as per Netcraft, a cloud infrastructure research firm.
Today, India is home to the fastest growing ecosystem of startups and entrepreneurs, with approximately 4,000 startups launching this past year alone. Considering the number of software developers throughout India will grow to over 5 million by the year 2018 – surpassing the number of developers in the United States – it’s clear that the region is one of the most important technology markets in the world. DigitalOcean is planning to have an initial investment of up to $5M to build out it’s local facility and operation in 2016.
“We’re here to help the booming economy in India continue to grow and succeed” says Ben Uretsky, CEO and Co-Founder of DigitalOcean. “There’s no better way to build and launch your business than on top of cloud. Entrepreneurs should be focused on their product and keeping their customers happy, not managing hardware and servers – that’s where we come in.”
KartRocket, India’s leading e-commerce enabler that raised $6 million in Series B funding just last month, has been using DigitalOcean’s cloud for the past two years. “DigitalOcean’s made it extremely simple for our team of developers to scale our application, as we’ve gained traction and more customers over the past years. It’s the simplest cloud platform in the market for developers and startups to launch their apps on,” says Saahil Goel, Co-Founder and CEO of KartRocket. “Their support team is also very communicative. We couldn’t be happier.”
Akhi Gupta, CTO and Co-Founder of the popular property-listings startup NoBroker, says, “They make it extremely simple to spin up servers. We know exactly what our bill will be at the end of the month. Other major cloud services have offered us free credit to leave, but we’ve rejected these offers because we love DigitalOcean.”
The Droplet – the company’s branded term for a cloud server – is a powerful compute resource that comes packaged with memory, storage, and bandwidth. Pricing begins at $5 per month and billing is calculated on an hourly basis, guaranteeing that companies only pay for infrastructure resources that are actually being used. The flexibility to quickly spin up servers via the company’s simple control panel or API is part of the special DigitalOcean experience.
“We have big plans for 2016,” says Moisey Uretsky, Chief Product Officer and Co-Founder of DigitalOcean. “We are actively working on a robust storage solution, as well as a monitoring solution, to complement our current product offerings. Developers in India will have first access to these cutting-edge technologies in our new datacenter in Bangalore.”
Key facts about DigitalOcean
- Intuitive Control Panel – DigitalOcean’s control panel makes configuring cloud servers and development frameworks simple and intuitive.
- Active Developer Community – DigitalOcean’s community pages are continually updated and moderated. Developers will find numerous tutorials, a robust Q & A section, and many community projects.
- Cloud infrastructure starting at $5 per month – DigitalOcean’s simple pricing model starts at $5 per month and offers hourly billing. Never be surprised by your invoice with predictable and transparent pricing as you scale.
- SSD-only cloud – DigitalOcean’s servers use only high-performance Solid State Disks. Their speed directly benefits the performance of hosted websites and applications. All DigitalOcean cloud servers are live and configurable in less than one minute.
- Snapshots – Backup your data and easily restore your server to a previously saved state. Users can create snapshots at anytime and even migrate them between different datacenter regions and other user accounts.
- Team Accounts – Team Account Management allows multiple users to share a single DigitalOcean account. With this feature, the account owner can invite members to join their existing account and gain access to create, destroy, and manage Droplets without getting access to administrative or billing settings. Additionally, each member will have separate logins, eliminating the need to share passwords.
- Floating IPs – Architect your application for high availability with Floating IPs. This feature makes it simple to quickly move an IP address from one server to another.
- SLA for 99.9 percent availability – DigitalOcean guarantees the highest availability of its cloud servers.