Infineon Technologies announces the introduction of the second generation ICL5102 resonant controller IC designed specifically for power supply and lighting drivers.
The ICL5102 integrates Power Factor Correction (PFC) and half-bridge (HB) controllers in a single DSO-16 package.
It supports universal input voltages ranging from 70 V AC to 325 V AC, and has a comparable wide output range. A low number of external components are required to configure and support this controller IC. All parameters are set by resistors.
The ICL5012 from Infineon supports fast startup under 500 ms at less than 100 μA. The industry-leading PFC is greater than 99 percent and Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is less than 3.5 percent. The controller has up to 94 percent efficiency by resonant topology. The active burst mode for low standby consumes less than 300 mW. An enable/disable function supports dimming.
The PFC Controller Features:
- Brownout detection, adjustable THD for light load operation, and high power factor correction.
- Due to the high accuracy of BUS voltage sensing, only four PINs are required for PFC action.
- The resonant HB controller has a fully integrated 650 V high-side driver using an internal coreless transformer with self-adaptive dead time ranging between 250 ns and 750 ns, and an operating frequency up to 500 kHz.
- It can detect overload, short circuit, BUS, HB or output under and over voltage as well as over temperature.
- An integrated capacitive mode regulator prevents operation in capacitive mode.
- All protection features use AUTO restart (No Latch).
Main target applications are LED drivers for professional and industrial lighting, and street lighting. The controller IC can also be used for offline AC-DC power supplies and LCD TVs.
Engineering samples and a reference design, REF-ICL5102-U130W-CC, are available now. Full production is ramped up and shipment will start in Q2 2018.