Maxim Integrated’slow power MAXREFDES82# reference design quickly calculates force and center of mass.
Design engineers can now rapidly evaluate and deploy new human-machine interface (HMI) devices using the MAXREFDES82# smart force sensor reference design from Maxim Integrated.
Typical weigh scales provide one dimension of information, downward force.The MAXREFDES82# reference design provides both downward force and center of mass, by collecting responses from four load cells using the MAX11254, a 24-bit, 6-channel analog-to-digital converter (ADC).This unique configuration, enabled by the highly integrated 24-bit ADC, provides second and third dimensions of information about whatever object presses upon it.
- Fast: 64ksps provides real time operation
- Rugged:Interface requires no special glass or material, making it ideal for industrial environments
- High precision: Accurate measurements of weight and center of mass up to 780g
- Low power:Less than 50mA consumed during normal operation
- “Maxim’s smart force sensor reference design is a new concept, operating as both a weigh scale and 3D touch interface in rugged environments,” said David Andeen, Director of Reference Designs at Maxim Integrated.“MAXREFDES82# has a unique combination of a multi-channel, high resolution ADC with integrated programmable gain amplifiers and low power consumption, giving our customers speed and flexibility when designing industrial systems.”
Availability and Pricing
- The MAXREFDES82# reference design is available for $99at Maxim’s website and select franchised distributors. Hardware and firmware design files, as well as test data, are provided free and available online.
- For information on other reference designs, visit http://bit.ly/ReferenceDesigns.